The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a ten-year work program that includes all regionally significant transportation projects in the MPO planning area. The TIP includes projects for all modes of transportation including roadway, public transportation, rail, aviation, bicycle and pedestrian. The TIP is updated every two years, as a subset of the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). All projects in the TIP must be consistent with the adopted Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP).
An online map of projects in the 2020-2029 TIP is shown above (disabled on mobile) or at this link. The map shows highway, bicycle, and pedestrian projects for the MPO region based on the current TIP and includes adopted amendments
2020 – 2029 Transportation Improvement Program – PDF
The 2020-2029 TIP was adopted by the FBRMPO Board on October 24, 2019. The link to the document itself contains the originally adopted version in addition to all adopted amendments, which are also posted separately below. Details on what constituents a TIP amendment or modification is posted under ‘Resources’ below. Amendments and modifications to the TIP are as follows:
- March 2023 Amendments #13 – Adopted 3/16/2023
- November 2022 Amendments #12 – Adopted 11/17/2022
- September 2022 Amendments #11 – Adopted 9/28/2022
- April 2022 Amendments #10 – Adopted 4/28/2022
- January 2022 Amendments #9 – Adopted 1/28/2022
- October 2021 Amendments #8 – Adopted 10/28/2021
- August 2021 Amendments #7 – Adopted 8/26/2021
- June 2021 Amendments #6 – Adopted 6/24/2021
- May 2021 Amendments #5 – Adopted 5/27/2021
- February 2021 Amendments #4 – Adopted 2/25/2021
- January 2021 Amendments #3 – Adopted 1/28/2021
- September 2020 Amendments #2 – Adopted 9/24/2020
- May 2020 Amendments #1 – Adopted 5/28/2020
- Original 2020-2029 TIP – Adopted 10/24/2019
NCDOT and the STIP
Transportation Improvement Program funding is divided among the 14 Highway Divisions in North Carolina. The FBRMPO is part of both Divisions 13 (Buncombe and Madison) and 14 (Haywood and Henderson). Beyond highway funds, FBRMPO receives TIP funding for the transit systems in the urban areas and supplemental funding for planning studies and other locally administered programs.
In August 2019, following a 16-month development process known as SPOT 5.0, NCDOT released the final draft of the 2020-2029 State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), which included both new projects and schedule adjustments from the previous draft released in January. The final draft version was approved by the N.C. Board of Transportation in September 2019. The MPO was involved in the STIP development process, described further on the SPOT webpage.
TIP Amendment and Modification Guidelines (2020)
STIP Reprogramming Parameters per NCDOT (August 2020)
Previous – FY 2018 – 2027 Transportation Improvement Program (with Amendments through January 2020)